Friday, January 20, 2012

Sweet Avocado Hummus

C and I were out at the library and running errands all morning, so we were quite hungry when we got home. I wanted to make us sandwiches for lunch to use up these homemade bagels that I had, but I don't like giving him deli meat and peanut butter isn't an option either (of course). Usually I will just make him a cream cheese sandwich, but today I was inspired by a couple ingredients I had here at home that I hadn't used yet. One avocado and a can of chickpeas. Hmmmmm.....sweet avocado hummus.

Sweet Avocado Hummus
1 can chickpeas, rinsed and drained
1 avocado, peeled, cored and cut into chunks
2 Tablespoons lime juice
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 garlic clove, minced
1 T. honey
water, if needed
optional add-in: fresh cilantro

Combine all ingredients in a food processor and pulse until smooth. Add water if needed to help mix.


You can serve this as a sandwich spread or as a dip with veggies and crackers.




 Nutritionally, this is actually a good substitute for natural peanut butter because it has protein and good fats. He'll eat anything with avocado!

2 comments:

  1. Hi there! I found your blog from 100 Days of Real Food. My son also has allergies but luckily he can have eggs! I have started a blog to compile my recipes. I would love to have you visit me! I look forward to following you!

    Shay

    http://raisingdieter.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! What allergies does your son have?

    ReplyDelete