Friday, January 13, 2012

Oven Beef Stew

Recently I got my first cast iron Dutch oven and I could not wait to find the perfect recipe to try it out. The snow started last night so I figured a nice hearty beef stew would work. Plus, I am spending my first weekend away from my little guy and I knew Daddy would need some leftovers to dish out over the weekend.  I don't make beef stew that often, but now with my new pot I have a feeling it will become a more frequent visitor to our kitchen table :)

For the rest of the weekend I am leaving them with a batch of spaghetti meat sauce, leftover chicken noodle soup, plenty of snacks and some oatmeal raisin cookies. They'll hardly know I'm gone!





Oven Beef Stew
6 T. all purpose flour, divided
1/4 t. salt
1/2 t. pepper, divided
1 1/2 pounds beef stew meat
1 medium onion, chopped
1 T. olive oil
3 garlic cloves, minced
3 cups beef broth
1 28 oz can diced tomatoes
3/4 t. dried rosemary
1/2 t. dried thyme
1 T. worcestershire sauce
3 large potatoes, peeled and cubed
3 medium carrots, peeled and sliced
1/2 cup frozen peas, thawed

In a large resealable plastic bag or a bowl, combine 4 T. flour, salt and pepper. Add the beef and toss to coat. In a dutch oven over medium high heat, brown the beef in batches. Remove and set aside. Add onion to the pan and cook until tender. Add garlic and cook 1 minute longer. Stir in remaining flour and pepper.  Gradually stir in broth. Add the beef, tomatoes, rosemary, thyme and worcestershire sauce.  Cover and bake at 350 for 1 1/4 hours. Add the potatoes and carrots. Cover and bake for 1 hour longer. Stir in peas. Cover and let stand 5  minutes before serving.

No comments:

Post a Comment