Friday, March 30, 2012

Egg Free Corn dog Muffins

Whether or not we'd like to admit it, we all have enjoyed a hot dog on a stick covered with fried dough. I'm not going to lie, it's pretty good! There's been an increasing popularity of real food "corn dog muffins" lately so I decided to give an egg free version a try.  I've been keeping a (short) list of meals C will actually eat, and this one is now #2 on my slowly growing list :P Not the healthiest thing to eat, but definitely more healthy than your normal corn dog!



Egg Free Corn Dog Muffins
1 cup white whole wheat flour
1 cup cornmeal
1 Tbsp. sucanat or rapadura (or regular sugar )
1 Tbsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1 cup buttermilk (I make my own by combining 1 cup whole milk and 1 Tbsp. vinegar, let stand for 5-10 minutes)
1/4 cup butter, melted
4 hot dogs, cut into thirds (I use Applegate brand)

Preheat oven to 425 and grease a 12 cup muffin pan. In a large bowl, combine cornmeal, flour, sucanat, baking powder, salt and baking soda. In a small bowl, combine buttermilk and melted butter. Add wet ingredients to dry and stir until a batter is formed. Drop batter into muffin pan by spoonfuls. Insert a hot dog piece into the center of each muffin (lay it on it's side for best results). Bake for 15 minutes or until lightly browned on top and a toothpick comes out clean.

No comments:

Post a Comment