Saturday, December 8, 2012

Egg and Nut Free Cinnamon Raisin French Toast

Although I've never made homemade french toast before, I had such an urge to make an egg free version since french toast is almost always made by dipping the bread in egg.  As I searched the internet for ways to make french toast without eggs, I came up with the basic solution of using milk and some sort of thickener. We always use whole milk, which I recommend for this recipe, and I used flour as my thickener. I used cinnamon raisin bread because I had some left over from the day before, but you can also use plain bread and just add some cinnamon and honey in the milk mixture to add flavor.  I used a cinnamon raisin bread recipe that I adapted from The Food Allergy Mama, which I've posted below, but you could use any flavor of bread you want.

Cinnamon Raisin French Toast (serves 4)
8 thick slices cinnamon raisin bread
2 cups whole milk
1/4 cup white whole wheat flour
1-2 Tbsp. butter
Maple syrup

Combine milk and flour in a bowl and stir with a wire whisk until there are no more lumps of flour left.   Melt 1-2 Tbsp. butter in a skillet over medium heat. Dip both sides of each slice of bread into the milk mixture and remove, letting the excess milk drip off the bread. Place bread in skillet and cook 3 minutes on each side. Serve warm with maple syrup and enjoy!


Cinnamon Raisin Bread
2 cups buttermilk (2 cups whole milk mixed with 2 Tbsp. white vinegar; let sit for 5-10 minutes)
1/4 cup honey
3 cups white whole wheat flour
3 tsp. baking powder
2 tsp. ground cinnamon
1 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. salt
2 Tbsp. butter, melted
1 3/4 cups raisins

Preheat oven to 350 and coat a loaf pan with butter or coconut oil. 

In a glass measuring cup, combine buttermilk and honey and stir. In a large bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, cinnamon, baking soda and salt with a whisk. Fold in the buttermilk mixture, the melted butter and the raisins and stir. 

Pour batter into loaf pan and bake for 55-60 minutes or until top is brown and a toothpick comes out clean. 




No comments:

Post a Comment