Friday, April 27, 2012

Fudgy Egg-Free Brownies!!

At some point between a super clingy toddler, major laundry duty, and the aftermath of Caleb gorging himself with beets last night, I decided I needed some chocolate today. Since we're having dinner with my parents tomorrow night, I thought I'd give my failed egg-free brownie recipe one more try.  For the past few months, I've been trying different egg-free brownie recipes but they were either too crumbly or just plain gross : / The missing ingredient? Melted butter.  Ahhh, proof that everything IS better with butter!

Since I like to try to keep even brownies on the "healthy" side, I used white whole wheat flour, sucanat (which is dehydrated cane juice), and real (no margarine here folks) organic butter. Using wheat flour and sucanat tastes EXACTLY the same as using the refined white stuff, but if you don't want to get sucanat, plain white sugar should be fine. (However, I will say that we haven't used white sugar in about 8 months and we're surviving quite well!)

Anyways, I hope you enjoy these brownies! A major plus compared to other recipes I've seen: they actually taste like brownies and there's no tofu!


Fudgy Egg-Free Brownies
Adapted from heavenlyhomemakers.com 

1 stick butter, melted
1 cup sucanat (or sugar)
1/4 cup cocoa powder
1/4 cup unsweetened applesauce
1 tsp. vanilla
3/4 cup white whole wheat flour
1/2 cup allergy-free chocolate chips (I used Enjoy Life)

Preheat oven to 350. Melt butter in a saucepan over medium heat. Once melted, remove from heat and stir in sucanant and cocoa powder. Mix in applesauce and vanilla and stir. Stir in flour and then gently fold in chocolate chips. Grease an 8x8 baking dish (I just rub some coconut oil on it), pour batter in pan and bake for 20 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.


No comments:

Post a Comment