Thursday, October 6, 2011

Taco Thursday and a Cooking Contest

I was never a big fan of mexican food until I met my husband.  He requested it all the time, so I started experimenting with different recipes for tacos, burritos, enchiladas, etc and now I'm obsessed. So far my favorite is slow cooker chicken soft tacos and I am currently trying to perfect my recipe so I can submit it to the most recent Taste of Home cooking contest.  I'm not expecting to win (most of the women who enter are older and more experienced), but besides the grand prize there are smaller cash prizes and opportunities for your recipe to be published in their magazine or on their website. You can submit as many recipes as you want, so I already submitted a banana cake with peanut butter/chocolate frosting that I made for my husband's birthdays prior to our son's peanut allergy and I am planning on submitting the pumpkin cake and a BBQ recipe that I'm playing around with. I'm sure they get a ton of entries, so who knows if anything will come of this but I thought it would be fun to submit some of my favorites :)

Here's what I have so far for the chicken tacos:

Chicken & Black Bean Soft Tacos

1 lb. chicken
¼ cup lime juice
½ t. chili powder
¼ t. ground cumin
¼ t. garlic powder
dash of black pepper, salt and ground red pepper
¼ cup green onions
1 can black beans, rinsed and drained
½ cup salsa
1/4 cup water
Tortillas
Mexican shredded cheese
Lettuce
Avocado
Combine ingredients through salsa in a bowl. Place chicken in a crock pot and pour mixture over chicken. Add 1/4 cup water. Cook on low for 4-5 hours or until chicken is cooked through. Allow to cool, then shred chicken.  Place chicken back in crockpot and cook on low for another 30 minutes. Serve with tortillas topped with cheese, avocado and lettuce. 

So now I just need to add something special so it will stand out a little. I am considering adding some lime zest and chopped pineapple.  I'll probably try that for dinner next week, and if we like it then that will be the entry. Thoughts?

Also, I totally forgot to take a picture of the food. I'm really bad at this whole blog thing! 

2 comments:

  1. This sounds great! I *love* lime juice/zest in Mexican food. Pineapple is great, too! I'm all for topping food with sour cream with chopped herbs mixed in, but then it wouldn't be dairy free :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. We are doing a little dairy now, but I just didn't include sour cream because Eric and I don't like it. But it's a good idea to add as an optional topping for those who do!

    ReplyDelete