Tuesday, August 30, 2011

The Best Allergy-Free Snack

It took me a while to figure out what (besides plain crackers and fruit) I could snack on because almost everything I ate before these allergies included milk or some kind of nut.  I thought hummus would be a great idea because it's a good source of protein, but almost every brand of hummus I could find at the store was made with tahini (sesame seed paste). So, I came up with my own super simple recipe.

What you'll need:
1 can of chickpeas, rinsed and drained (also known as garbanzo beans. I use Giant Eagle Nature's Basket organic)
2 T. oil
4 T. Lemon Juice
1 clove garlic
salt and pepper
paprika (if desired)

Put all ingredients in a food processor. Blend until smooth.

Serve with pita bread, crackers, veggies or as a sandwich spread.

No comments:

Post a Comment